Share

I'm on a new journey to pay-it-forward & with the support of my Groupies/friends...

I'm writing a LAP BAND BOOK!!!



Friday, September 4, 2009

8/18-21/09 Nesting and the Big College Move

I've lost 2.5 pounds of the 4 lb. I gained in the two weeks gone. My stomach is pretty much back to normal (had a few burning issues yesterday, but I'm staying on the Nexium until I see the doc next week). We're off to Columbus again for a nephew's college graduation party (from OSU). Yay, college football starts again! Mom's cooking all weekend...help me! Have a great loooong weekend all!

OK, here's my journal from the week before last when I was swamped with getting ready for the college move and then vacation the next day.

8/18
I just got a call from my sister-in law. My niece/goddaughter is off to PSU tomorrow for her senior year and they’re packing the car. She’s so excited our DS1 is starting at PSU this year and she’s meeting us Friday to help with his move in. I’m ‘nesting’. I’ve been spending days buying and returning items (when I find something better) to stores, checking things off lists and organizing it all. He’ll be almost 4 hours from home and it helps me to know he’ll have everything he needs.

I’m a self-admittedly almost OCD organizer. I’ve got plastic bins all organized and labeled…I’ve written our last name in sharpie on most of his more expensive things…tiny, where no one will notice, but this totally irks DS1…it’s not like I’m labeling his underwear or anything (although that isn’t a bad idea LOL). I bought some more bins yesterday and I’m disappointed he doesn’t seem to have anything to put in them…boys just need less than girls. We took the car and the van to move DD in her freshman year. I’m thinking we’re going to get everything in the van…and probably without the roof-rack and car-top carrier.

I spent half a day trying to find pics of his dorm room setup online (finally found a few on Flicker). PSU missed the boat on this one…no pics, just a drawing of the layout with mislabeled room sizes (one dimension says 12’15”…took me finding other sites to realize it’s 12’5” and it was a typo, like I suspected). The furniture isn’t even to scale on their drawings (yeah, I plugged the room info. into my architect computer program to see how his things would fit). These freshman dorm rooms are TINY and the furniture is all bolted down, so correct dimensions are important when you’re trying to figure out if the rug you bought will fit in the room (I think I have an inch leeway on one side as long as the radiator isn’t deeper than 12”…no dimensions given). Luckily, I also got a ‘heads-up’ on a few things from my niece…like you can request a Twin XL bed instead of the Twin given (big deal if you’re over 6’ like DS1 is) and that the beds have 6 legs and not 4 (important if you’re buying bed riser feet in packs of 4 so you can put big bins of things under the bed).

We’ve got ‘extras’ of several items…no way will we be standing in the 2 hour lines at Wal-Mart for more extension cords. I’m such a visual organizer that it helps me to feel that he’s settled before we get there. I know where most things go and then when we’re done placing it all I feel like the Momma bird who has feathered the nest and made it all cozy for her baby. Leaving your child at school for the first time is hard enough without feeling like you’ve left them without something they’ll need. Do I get that he’s a big-boy now and can certainly get to the store and buy things if he needs them…yep, of course I do, but it makes me feel better…and so I’m nesting…
----
8/19
Side note; we finished the art projects for his room (I may have told you about these already, so sorry if I’m repeating?). DH and DS1 made a batik for the big wall over his bed. DD and I did a decoupage tissue paper triptych for her first dorm room with all her room colors, so I was trying to find something that DH could do with DS1…DH can’t draw a straight line to save his life, but I remembered seeing some batiks that he had made in HS. I helped DS1 draw out the Nittany Lion paw print logo on the white fabric we bought and then they painted the wax and dyed it the PSU blue. I ironed it out and hemmed the edges (It was my sneaky way of getting a little color in the room with all the black, black, gray, and black…and now blue! hee-hee). I also surprised DS1 with taking some indoor/outdoor lights (just round white bulbs) and painting some little paw prints on those too with some glass paint…yes, you can bake light-bulbs in the oven.
----
8/21
The move into college went well. We got permission to move in with the locals on Friday since we leave for vacation on Saturday morning. It was a super Looooong day....up and out by 5am, 4 hours there, unpack and lunch, 4 hours home, then repack the whole car for vacation. Everything for his move went really smoothly though. We arrived there 15 min. before the start of check-in time and thankfully they were already ready and unloading cars. PSU was very organized…we were sent right onto the grass parking for his dorm and students were there with dollies to take loads up to his room (we’d borrowed one from a neighbor also). Lucky for us I’m a little OCD about things as I’d looked and knew there was a good chance of rain in the morning and insisted we put everything not in plastic bins into plastic bags. It was drizzling when we arrived and then we had a hard shower while DH and DS1 were taking loads up as I unpacked the van. When they came back, they were happy that his giant pile of stuff on the sidewalk was protected from the rain as everyone around us was trying to hold umbrellas over their stuff.

My niece/god-daughter (also at PSU) came to the room to help and she was great. After struggling to get the rug down and under both beds, the rest of the move went smoothly. We got his batik up on the wall and my niece put up the lights I made him up on the ceiling. The two body pillows fit well along the wall and made the bed into a nice ‘couch’ of sorts. My son had insisted that he didn’t want a bed-skirt as anything with the word ‘skirt’ in it had to be bad and he feared getting made fun of…I tried ‘dust-ruffle’, but that was even worse LOL. I whispered for my niece to come over while he was busy and we took the 2 curtain panels I’d bought (for the ‘bed-skirt’), folded them and hung them from the bed frame/springs to the floor and overlapped them in the middle. Looks much nicer than seeing the bed risers and the big bins of food and stuff that are under the bed. He was really pleased with how everything turned out…and I don’t think he even noticed the bedSKIRT!

*Pic 1 Attached: DS1 in the bed portion; note you can see part of the paw-print batik on the wall and the string of lights hanging (and see how you don’t notice the bedskirt with all the other black?).
 
*Pic 2 Attached: DS1 and I in the desk/closet portion; note I also got some more color (blue) in with some wrapping paper on the bulletin board.
 
*Pic 3 Attached: Here’s the lights up close with the little logos I painted, it's a 24 set (I made another set to send to my god-daughter as a surprise since she liked his so much).

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails