Share

I'm on a new journey to pay-it-forward & with the support of my Groupies/friends...

I'm writing a LAP BAND BOOK!!!



Monday, April 23, 2012

Third Bandiversary!!!

Hello my lovelies!

This week is my 'Celebration Week', so drink up you groupies, and keep the party going all week!

- My Birthday (I'll be 53).

- Our 30th Wedding Anniversary (we'll be leaving for London in about two weeks…Cheers!).

- and…drum roll please…My Third Bandiversary!!!

I've been in my closet figuring out what to take for our trip and I ran across a second old pair of pants. These did NOT fit me the year (or more) before I was banded. They were my only pair of dress pants though, so I remember wearing them unbuttoned a few times with a big shirt covering them…I refused to buy any more pants in a bigger size (they're a 22W, and I was at least in a 24W). They drop to the floor when I let go…and 'scuse the pre-shower/no makeup scary face.














I was hoping to roll out the intro. of the book this week, but that will have to wait until I get back, as I've still have a few things to figure out. So I'll just share what I'm thinking instead (sorry, if this is a ramble, no time to edit...)
Reflections on the past year.

- Life.

     - I really have nothing to complain about as we're all healthy and happy and the kids are all great. I've certainly still been counting every blessing as we have so much to be thankful for. All the really important things in our life are wonderful.

     - That said, it's been one of, if not the most stressful years we've ever had (no worries, mostly job crapolla, but of the kind we could write a movie about). There will always be ups and downs and nothing stays the same long. We've all been there, and you can't really appreciate the good…(insert Charlie Brown's teacher here 'blah, blah, blah").
    
     - Anyway, I've been busy, and stress has given me new excuse to lose my hair...wonderful.

-My Lap-Band.

     - The Book

          - I've found it harder to find time to do everything. To live my crazy life, to write, to blog.

          - As my sister would point out…I've been 'doing the lonely work', and sometimes it isn't fun.  I really miss keeping up with friends and just having fun writing my blog and helping newbies. I feel like everyone will have moved on and forgotten about me by the time it's all done. Sometimes I feel like I'm chasing windmills. 

          - Just about the time I'm feeling down about it all and want to quit, I always get a note from a new Bander telling me how much my little blog has helped them. It keeps me going.

- My Band Journey this year

     - Band History

          - 1st year was losing weight and learning about my Band.
 
          - 2nd year was getting to goal, soon after that was my unfill and then losing weight again to get to goal a second time (just a few weeks after my 2nd Bandiversary)

          - 3rd year has really been about getting back to goal and maintenance.  

     - Goal Maintenance
    
          - My expectations when I got the Band were that I would lose about ½ my excess weight. I had confidence that I could do that, since I'd done close to that many times with diets. I was just hoping that I could keep ½ the weight off with less hunger.  My number one grateful moment was the second half of my excess weight coming off with virtually no hunger…it amazes me still.

          - My second most grateful moment (that's almost a tie with losing so much weight), happened this year…that I've been able to KEEP the weight off. You've always heard me say that I got the Band to keep the weight off, not to lose it. I'm amazed every day that I'm still in maintenance…and I've learned so very much this year.

          - Maybe it was having the unfill and having that awful hunger back that made still doubt that I'd be able to keep this off. I was worried that the weight would slowly creep back on like it has for so many others. I'm not stupid enough to say that it won't ever happen (you know I have to try everything once…OK three or four times LOL), I'm just here to say that for this first year of maintenance, I'm still maintaining. 

          - I actually think my body kinda' wants to stay at goal now…shocking (it's just like when you're in a plateau and not much you do will make the weight budge…except this time it's a good thing). I've had weeks of crappy eating this year (Can you say Easter chocolate? No, I mean it…whole piles of foil wrappers…but more about my perfection in a moment). Even when I've gained a few pounds, once I get things back in check (and no, don't read 'easy' in there anywhere...there's a method to the madness and 'easy' isn't part of any of it) it evens out again…amazing.

          - So I've had a wonderful, surprising, and thankful year with my Band.

     - Stats: For those of you that are 'almost OCD' numbers people, like me, here's a few stats for you. 

          - It's been almost a year since I got back down to goal for the second time. Over 48 weeks to be exact.

          - I weigh daily, but record it weekly, I've been over my goal weight of 148 exactly 4 weeks during that time and two of those four were the very first two weeks after reaching goal. 

          - I'll also tell you that I've only ever been over my goal by a half a pound…half a pound! So this year I've been between 141.5 and 148.5. Over half the weeks have stayed within two pounds (145.5-147.5). 

     - Imperfection

          - OK, now before you just start thinking…good for her, but that will never be me, let me tell you again, it CAN be.

          - Let me preface this next part by reminding you that I'm a firm believer in the fact that our journeys are all a little different, but each one of us has something to learn from the other. The trick is in finding what you can learn that will work for you. It's important to find those Banders that have the same approach to their Band that you do, but remember, no one way is right or wrong, it's just a different way to get there…take what you can from everyone and learn. 

          - I'll admit I don't like vague or simple explanations for things…back to basics, exercise more, eat less…I was hungry for details as a newbie (and just hungry)….and especially 'follow the rules' (OK, I'm nothing, if not a rule tester). The truth is nothing is that simple…especially not our Bands, and certainly not this journey. You know I'm a details person and I always want the truth…even if it's ugly…I think that's why I share so much. I only get inspired when I can really relate and if I feel like that person is enough like me…flawed like me.  I found inspiration...and there's plenty of of it for us all out there. 

          - So again, I am NOT the perfect Bander…but you know what…I think sharing that can inspire others not to give up the good fight. You don't have to be a perfect Bander to find success, you just have to be ready to do the real work…for me, that was as much in my head as with food/my body.

          - I've got lots more I've learned from getting back to goal and maintenance this year, but I'll just share one last thing here…and this one is for you not-so-newbies as well. No, I'm not going to tell you this journey never ends, you already know that, but know there's no expiration date on our Bands...so if, when, you want more, you CAN do it.  I'm going to tell you that your weight loss success is just like food, you can set amounts and track and measure it as much as you want, but it's only inside you where you can decide when you're satisfied.  Just like hunger and food...you have to really pay attention and only then will you be able to make the changes you need to be successful.  It's only when you start believing that you can reach your goals that you'll be able to.

Ta-ta!  See you when I'm back from over the pond (you have to let go of the shore to get to the other side...yes, I'm in deep LOL)! -LGB

13 comments:

Lap Band Gal said...

Congrats!!! :)

Janice said...

Wow...your pictures say it all! It is nice to read about someone three years out! You have a lot on your plate and you are doing well balancing it day to day. You look wonderful! Thanks for the inspiration!

Sarah G said...

Happy Bandiversary! !

Judi said...

Happy Everything!
Love those pants!!!
Welcome to the 53 Club, the 30 Club and the People-Who-have-Had-Their- Band-More-Than-2-Years-Club! Once again, we are in the same clubs!! Yeah for us!
Congrats to you! You have definitely given back a hundred times over and continue to do so!
Maintaining our success amid life and all the life stuff (even the good stuff!) is challenging. I applaud your honesty and realism. Sometimes people look at those of us who are keeping off the weight and thinking....wow....they make it look easy or wow...they must have been perfect. The truth is---it ain't easy and we ain't perfect! But, that's what makes it all so much fun.....8-)
Have a wonderful trip, a great anniversary, a stellar b-day and a truly joyous celebration of it all!!!! You deserve it!
Now, go burn those pants!!!
Onward!
Judi

Darlin1 said...

OMG...the pictures are amazing!

Have FUN celebrating all the special times you have right now. I'll be thinking about you!

XOXO

greenie said...

Wow! Congratulations. Love reading your thoughts about your journey.

Those pics are great!

Dinnerland said...

Congrats and awesome post. You are so smart and insightful. Always love to see what you have to share!

Grandma Bonnie said...

Yours was my first blog. You were my inspiration, the reason I got my band.
Thank you 80 pounds over. You have now given me the faith to know I can knock out the last 10-15 pounds before my two year anniversary in August. I just booked a scuba and whale shark swim in Cozumel for June. I could not have done this two years ago.
Nancy, thank you for giving me the faith this band could work for me.
Bonnie

MB said...

Happy Bandiversary, Birthday, and Anniversary! :) I am also planning to go to Europe this summer and MAY be going to London. Please let me know any tips/your itinerary (I can send you my email if you'd like) if you don't mind.

Also, this was a wonderful post. You always have great ones, but I loved, loved, loved what you wrote here. After last year's unfill in February, I am now working my way back up the fill ladder (started--very slowly--in November). This post has given me some hope, encouragement, and inspiration even though the going is slow. Thank you for that.

MB said...

Also, I love the pictures.

~Lisa~ said...

I love the pictures!!

Happy Birthday, Anniversary and Bandiversary!!

Have a TERRIFIC trip! I am looking forward to seeing even more wonderful pictures!!

Used2bFat said...

"You don't have to be a perfect Bander to find success, you just have to be ready to do the real work…for me, that was as much in my head as with food/my body."

These are words I needed to read today!!! What an inspiration you are and a good indication of what never giving up looks like.

You look great! I wonder if I'll ever get the chance to show off my fat pants? (the ones I'm wearing now!!!!)

lorena st said...

Great post! You are inspirational to me. I'm only 7 months out (and down 60 pounds), but your experiences and advice are truly helpful. I still have a long way to go to goal (60 more pounds), but your writings and thoughts help keep me going. Thanks again.

Related Posts with Thumbnails